(& Moving On ?)
- Burnout and mental health challenge was already at a crisis level pre-pandemic…
- 91% of physicians report burnout at some point during their career; suicide rates more than double that of the general population (1, 2)
- 51% of people report worse mental health at work since COVID-19 started and 30% of employees report being fearful that disclosure of mental health could lead to being fired or furloughed (3)
- 40% of individuals are sleep deprived (4)
- Nearly half say they are considering quitting their jobs (5)
Health & Resiliency
Yoga is an integrative systemic approach to health that uses the mind to effect changes in the body and vice versa. Therapeutic applications of yoga address the full biopsychosocial spectrum: the physical, mental, emotional, social and spiritual aspects of the person. Research points to “clear physiological, psychological and philosophical reasons for yoga’s efficacy in promoting mental wellbeing and enhanced resiliency. Our 12-week program incorporates mindful movement, breath practices, relaxation, meditation, and awareness/insight development using yoga philosophy. Each session includes a theme aimed at building resilience and inner awareness/ insight.
Stress & Burnout
Even during training, medical students and healthcare professionals must cope with heavy workloads and high stress levels in a competitive environment, High levels of work-related stress are associated with reduced productivity and with work absence. Ongoing high stress facilitates the onset of burnout. In contrast, employees with a sense of well-being are more likely to be engaged in their work, productive, and can respond effectively to change and increased demands. According to the NIH, yoga helps manage stress, improves resilience and mental well being, promotes healthy eating and activity habits, encourages better sleeping habits, and increases balance. Our therapeutic yoga program lowers stress and burnout and increases well-being.